Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Spinach, Onion, Tomato, Feta Breakfast Casserole

As part of my plan for eating healthier and meal planning, I decided to try to make a breakfast casserole to eat for a couple of days in the mornings. Van and I like completely different things in our eggs, so we made two different kinds. I put spinach, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms and feta cheese in mine. Van used onion, mushrooms, green pepper, and ham. (One choice of meat instead of the three he originally wanted. I keep having to remind him what eating healthy/healthier is.) We over estimated the amount of filling, and underestimated the amount of eggs we would need, resulting in a trip back to the store for Van. My recommendation, unless you have a larger family, cut the recipe in half and use a smaller baking dish. I ended up wasting about a third of the casserole because I. couldn't. eat. that. much. egg. I am really not an egg person, but mixed with enough things I can eat it.

Here is what you need

Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
Frozen Spinach (or fresh)
Cherry Tomatoes
Onion
Mushroom ( used these because I forget the Black Olives at the store)
ADD Black Olives :) If you like them..
12 eggs
Milk
Salt and Pepper

Prep your filling:

Chop half an onion, quarter your cherry tomatoes (I used 6), and thaw and drain your spinach. Or use fresh, I will use fresh next time. Combine in a bowl, sprinkle some feta, and mix.


It looked so colorful and pretty! I wanted to just eat it then...

Next: Layer about half a bag of hash browns on the bottom of a baking dish. (I will probably omit this next time to make it healthier...but it was really yummy)


Pour the Spinach, Onion, Tomato, Mushroom (or olive), and Feta mixture over the hash browns. Then, whisk together your eggs and add a dash of milk, and salt and pepper to your liking. Pour eggs over veggie mixture. 


Bake in the oven uncovered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Check the center of the casserole with a knife. If it comes out clean, it's DONE! If not, bake for another 5-10 minutes until done. I sprinkled a little more feta on top when it came out of the oven. I need to get my share of cheese this week before we start our new diet next week...and I can't have dairy-more on that later. 

Here it is!!


It really was good, and it was nice to have breakfast for a couple days. Give it a try, and mix up the ingredients too. I think next time I want to try a "taco inspired" casserole, and top it with some avocado!

Come back soon!

=Megan






No comments:

Post a Comment